This spicy tomato chickpea soup is just what the doctor ordered! It makes you feel better and get over the sniffles in a fraction of the time medicine does—I swear by it every winter. I originally posted a teaser photo of me prepping this soup over a week ago on my IG—it was so well received I thought I’d share b/c no one likes to feel like sh%t 🙂 Original recipe from Vegan Yum Yum, slightly altered by me.
- 2-3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup hot water
- Black pepper, to taste
OPTIONAL: plantain chips, roasted/salted pumpkin seeds as toppings
Necessary Kitchen Tools
- Large Skillet
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with high sides. Add the onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, cumin, and chili flakes and stir for another minute.
- Add the mustard seeds, turmeric, and the drained chickpeas. Sauté until the chickpeas begin to turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and the majority of the moisture has been absorbed.
- Transfer the mixture—all or half of it—to a blender. Add the nutritional yeast and hot water and blend until smooth (unless you prefer a bit of texture). Blend in batches if you can’t fit everything at the same time. Serve with fresh cracked black pepper.
In case you’re starting to feel that scratchy throat, get the sniffles out of nowhere, or are just paranoid that coworkers may be sharing more than their advice enjoy the health benefits of turmeric—not to mention the tastiness!—while you rest up this week. Pfft…who are we kidding? Hope this soup helps aid your hangover from last night’s festivities too.
Photos via my Instagram account